V1.0.9, 2009 Nov 15
This document shows how to install the spam handling utilities found in
the SpamCorral package onto your system to work in conjunction with your
mail filtering software. It describes how to configure the programs and set
them up to run attended. Information about the operation of the programs
in this product suite is also provided.
Copyright (c) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009 Eric Wilde
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts.
A copy of the license is included in Appendix A, entitled
"GNU Free Documentation License".
This document is also available in
PDF format at:
BSM Development is a small company of software
developers (perhaps, like yourself) and we would appreciate, if you so
choose, a small contribution to pay for this software. We hope you perceive
it to be of value and find it useful to you. As a suggestion, we would like
to think that it is worth at least US $20.00. However, you may send
whatever amount that you feel this product is worth. If you'd like to make
a contribution, you can do so directly via the
of the BSM Development site (www.bsmdevelopment.com/Products/Contribute.html).
Alternately, you can send a check via snail mail to:
44 Whitewood Circle
Norwood, MA 02062
Please make your check payable to "BSM Development", thanks.
0.4 Change Log
Here are the version numbers, dates and a brief description of
each program change, in reverse chronological order:
- 2009 Nov 15 - Fix problem with WeakRequire when module not found.
- 2003 Jun 12 - Strip all mailer crap from message lines.
- 2003 May 22 - Optionally skip domain check in MailRelease.
- 2003 May 5 - Remove HTML tags from names to release.
- 2003 May 2 - Tweak MailRelease error responses and add a couple more
messages. Fix apparent Perl bug whereby push of lc($1) pushes garbage.
This affected domain lookup.
- 2003 May 1 - Conditionally load Zlib and DB_File, for real this time.
- 2003 Apr 26 - Have SpamNotify unzip corralled messages, if necessary
(just in case someone zips all the spam in the corral, before we have a
chance to send out the notifications). Fix problem with '>' and '<'
in the HTML component of notifications.
- 2003 Apr 24 - Have MailRelease unzip corralled messages, if necessary.
- 2003 Apr 23 - Renamed SpamRelease to MailRelease (I can't keep
explaining that they're the same).
- 2003 Apr 22 - Have SpamNotify wrap corralled object names with HTML
- 2003 Apr 22 - Add MailRelease option to delete corralled files on
- 2003 Apr 19 - Allow MailRelease options to come from a config file.
Make an attempt at German and French config files (thanks Google).
- 2003 Apr 18 - Allow SpamNotify date format to come from config file.
Make another try at handling long file names wrapped by Lookout. Bounce
MailRelease errors back to sender.
- 2003 Apr 17 - Allow SpamNotify strings to come from a config file
instead of being hard-coded.
- 2003 Mar 27 - Fix lowercasing of timestamps by Lookout.
- 2003 Mar 12 - Fix problem with underscores in user names.
- 2003 Feb 2 - Add configure script to set up platform dependent options.
- 2003 Jan 31 - Use Berkeley DB for the notification list, if it is
available. This allows millions of notifications to be sent in a single
message, regardless of how the corral is partitioned.
- 2003 Jan 29 - Send notifications at the end of each partition, if the
corral is partitioned. This prevents memory overflow when there are
millions of corralled messages.
- 2003 Jan 23 - Partition the spam corral into subdirectories to handle
large volumes of messages. This prevents file system limitations from
- 2003 Jan 5 - Search first 16K, rather than 4K, of message for headers
when sending spam notifications (allows longer mailing lists).
- 2002 Nov 5 - Strip pesky <Ctrl-M> from user names in MailRelease.
Handle long file names wrapped by mail readers. Clear BASH_ENV in case
- 2002 Aug 3 - Changed SpamNotify to process symbolic links to unnamed
spam files, to support remailing spam to multiple envelope recipients.
- 2002 Jul 15 - Initial coding for MailRelease.
- 2002 Jul 12 - Initial coding for SpamNotify.